Vegetable Fried Rice
I am a huge fan of take out, like the rest of us. This vegetable fried rice is the perfect weeknight dish to make, because you can make it with leftover rice. In fact, it’s best made from leftover rice. If you want a good loose fried rice texture, fried rice is the way to go. You can use fresh rice but the results of your fried rice will turn out a bit on the mushy side.
When I plan on making fried rice, I will make rice specifically for fried rice the day before. Otherwise, I will make it from leftover rice, that I want to use up. You can also cook some rice the same day. Spread it on a baking tray and allow it to air out for 1 hour, to help dry out a bit of moisture, before using for fried rice.
How to store and reheat fried rice?
Fried rice is meant to be eaten the day you make it. Simply because it’s already typically made from left over rice. That being said if you really need to store it, you can. It will become hard after it has been refrigerated, but all you need to do to reheat it, is sprinkle on a bit of water and reheat covered. You can do this process on the stove top or microwave. The water and cover method, will allow the rice to steam and become soft again.
What can I add into the fried rice?
You can anything you want into your fried rice. I love to use up veggies that are past their peek for this recipe. You use up vegetables that would otherwise go bad and make something delicious from it. You can also, use frozen mixed veggies, that is something I do pretty often to make fried rice, but you don’t have to stop at veggies, you can add plant based meats, pineapple, tofu, and anything else you like.
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice preferably from the the night before
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup cabbage shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for sautéing can use water or broth instead
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Into a high heated pan or skillet add in vegetable oil. Stir in the onion and carrots and allow the onions to become translucent.
- Make a well in the center of the pan, by moving the onion and carrots aside and add the minced garlic into the center. Cook garlic for 1 minute or until it becomes fragrant.
- Stir and add in the cabbage, peas, broccoli, sesame oil and rice. Mix well to incorporate everything and pour in the soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Stir fry for a 3-4 minutes or until soy sauce has been absorbed and the rice is heated through.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, serve and ENJOY!