Is there anything better than a freshly baked batch of vegan chocolate cupcakes? Tell me, I’ll wait 🙂
I don’t have much of a sweet tooth but one thing I remember is loving chocolate cake and brownies as a kid. When I was little Rose, well I’m still little Rose but I meant a kid little lol. You know what I mean! Living at my moms house with my older brothers still living there. I use to make chocolate cake every week. My oldest brother was the main cheerleader. When he would realize that I was making chocolate cake because he lives for chocolate cake lol.
Lol wanna hear something funny?
When I was about 11 years old, my childhood best friend and I made some chocolate cake for her little sisters birthday. It all went so smooth up until the moment where I wrote the usual birthday cake “Happy Birthday _________” on the beautifully iced cake. Instead of “Happy Birthday” I wrote “Happy Birday”. I’m not sure where the “TH” fell off but the didn’t end up on the cake. They must have ran out of gas along the way, I guess! Haha Either way the cake was delicious. We totally left it that way and to this day I still get reminded by my friend that I wrote Birday, 20 years ago! I’ve been traumatized since and I refuse to write on birthday cakes lol.
These vegan chocolate cupcakes are SO rich, chocolatey, and moist. When I made these for this blog post I went around my apartment complex with a glass cake stand and loaded with chocolate cupcakes. To share with my neighbor family. We are very tightly knit and these were delicious so I had to share. The verdict: They aren’t vegan or veg in anyway and all loved them so, feel free to share these with everyone. Plant based people and omnivores alike and they will love it!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 and 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Plant based milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp Applesauce
- 1 Tbsp White Vinegar
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 3/4 cup Vegan Butter room temperature
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder Unsweetened
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Plant based milk
- Dairy free bar of chocolate for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F 25 minutes
- Sift all purpose flour into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix well until completely combined. Set aside.
- Next add all the wet ingredients into a separate mixing bowl, mix well and pour wet mixture into the dry mix. Mix, until just incorporated. Make sure not to over mix, or you will end up with tough cupcakes. Less mixing is better.
- Line a cupcake baking pan with 12 cupcake liners and fill 2/3 of the way up. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Into a separate mixing, add in vegan butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Whisk everything together really well, until it becomes creamy. This will take about 3 minutes or so to come together. It will look crumbly at first. Once you've reached a creamy frosting consistency, add in plant based milk. Mix again and refrigerate for 5-10 minutes before icing cupcakes. This will firm up the frosting a bit. Next frost the completely cooled cupcakes to your liking and shred or peel some chocolate over the frosted cupcakes for garnish (optional) and ENJOY!
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Veggie Rose.