BBQ Bean Sandwich
👀 👀 I’ve been seeing versions of this bbq bean sandwich recipe everywhere. Sticky BBQ coleslaw sandwich everywhere I turn. By that I mean everywhere I click lol! This was one of those recipes I wasn’t planning on making a recipe for and posting because there were so many out there already. But it happened and I did. 😆
Let me take you through it (insert daydream sound effect here). The hubby and the kids and I were going away for the weekend on a camping trip. I ‘m a plan everything, down to the food we will be eating on these kinds of trips. Except most of the time our camping planning consisted of the hubby calling me from work and saying “Hey you guys want to camping tomorrow?”. I would of course always say “Yes!” because I love camping. Then he would say “Ok, call the campground and check if they have availability.”. I would go into full blown camping packing mood which consisted of everything two adults and two children needed to live for 2-3 days. That meant hauling the camping gear up from the basement, packing the food bin, aka the kitchen bin as I like to call it. The clothes, toiletries, you name it. Usually I had to run to the supermarket to stock up on the food supplies we were taking.
For this particular camping trip I forgot to plan one dinner meal and normally we would have dinner one night out while out there but I still needed to have a back up plan for a third dinner meal. I realized it once I got back home from the supermarket and was packing everything away, yikes! So, I proceeded to do the shuffle around my kitchen and pantry. In hopes that some idea would come to me, that we just so happened to have the ingredients for.
Light bulb 💡! You guessed it, that sticky BBQ bean sandwich, that I had been seeing everywhere. I looked around, we had buns, beans, BBQ sauce, and everything I needed to make cole slaw. I felt so relieved because that was perfect for cooking over the campfire in a skillet. Excitement that I didn’t feel before for this recipe kicked into high gear the first night there and I made my own version of it. This is the recipe that came from that and the whole family loved it! The picky little ones even asked for seconds!
BBQ Bean Sandwich
- 2 cans or 3 cups pinto beans
- 3/4 bottle of BBQ sauce your favorite
- 1/2 chopped red onion
- Bread buns of choice
- 1/2 package coleslaw precut or chopped cabbage and carrot
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- In a mixing bowl, mix together all coleslaw ingredients. Cover and place in the refrigerator until the beans are done.
- In a cast iron skillet (because these will cook for long and you don't want them to burn) on medium heat, add 3 tbsp of vegetable oil, add chopped onion until translucent, then add in the pinto beans and the BBQ sauce. Cover with lid or aluminum foil and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, occasionally stirring to prevent beans from sticking to the pan.
- Uncover beans after 30 minutes and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until BBQ sauce has thickened to you liking. Quick Tip: Taste the beans as you go for toughness. If you cook too long or on too high the beans can become very tough.
- Now that everything is done. You can now assemble the sandwiches by adding the BBQ Beans and the layer the coleslaw over that, and top with the top bun. All that is left to do now is ENJOY.