Cheesy Vegan Sloppy Joes
Most of us has had a sloppy joe in sometime in their life. Usually it happens in our childhood. Maybe it was a more popular thing back in the day, when what our parents feed us wasn’t always under a microscope. When kids use to eat, junk food, candy, drink soda, and play outside. Rather than being stuck on electronics. Wow, I just aged myself!
I remember playing double dutch, hoping on a pogo stick, and hula hooping outside with my friends, until my little body was to tired to play anymore. Yes, I am from that era! Anyway, I remember occasionally my mom would make sloppy joes, for when I would come in for a break from playing. I remember the smell mod the sloppy joes wafting through the house, and I would get so excited to dive into that big mess of a sandwich.
To this day I love messy foods, the messier the better I say. A little bit of sauce dripping down the palm of your hand while eating, never hurt anyone.
I made this recipe using tofu, rather then any plant based meats because it’s more readily available and it is also more affordable. Not to mention, it taste fantastic, and absorb the flavors great.
What type of bread should I use?
You can use a nice burger bun for this cheesy vegan sloppy joes recipe, which is traditionally what it calls for, but I love to have this with regular sandwich bread. I grew up eating it that way because my mom barely ever bought burger buns unless she knew for certain we were having burgers. So, we often had sandwich bread when burger buns were needed because the burger buns were always needed, on short notice!😅 But hey, a sandwich is just something inside of bread so, at least we got that formula right!
Cheesy Vegan Sloppy Joes
- 1/2 13oz extra firm tofu
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup veg stock
- 1/2 cup non dairy cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices of toasted bread or buns
- In a skillet heated to high, add olive oil and onion. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
- Bring heat down to a medium high heat. Add in remaining ingredients, EXCEPT for cheese.
- Combine ingredients well and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked down.
- Turn off heat, add in the non dairy cheese, mix well until cheese is melted through.
- Add cheesy sloppy Joe mix onto bread and ENJOY!