Chickpea Vegan Omelette
These are my favorite omelettes ever! I know that sounds like an extreme statement, but I truly love these chickpea vegan omelette so much better then regular egg omelettes. The first time I made these I have to admit I ended up making seconds because everybody love them. Yes, even my non vegan husband loved these.
What do I need to make this?
The only special ingredient that you need to make these chickpea omelettes, are besan flour a.k.a. chickpea flour.￼￼ Besan flour, is an ingredient that is widely used in Indian culture. You can buy the Besan flour a.k.a. chickpea flour from your local Indian food market or from Amazon. I usually buy mine from Amazon because I don’t have any close by Indian markets.
When I was creating the recipe for these vegan omelettes. I went through a mission, trying to find this chickpea flour. I went everywhere! For some reason, the thought didn’t cross my mind that I could just buy it from Amazon. I mean, they have everything, what was I thinking?
So yeah, I went around my whole city, which was Philadelphia at the time and I couldn’t find it anywhere. I finally looked up different Indian markets and just started calling up places to see if they carried it. I managed to get in contact, with one Indian market that did have it in stock. That market was 35 minutes away, which may seem like a stretch for one ingredient but when I have my mindset on a recipe I will go to the ends of the earth to find a particular ingredient😆.￼￼
Long story short, I picked up my mom for company and off we went on this chickpea flour finding expedition and I’m so glad I did because the outcome is delicious. Now I never buy this flour in store anymore, I only ever purchase it online. If you’re making this, I suggest you do the same unless you know for certain you have an Indian market nearby. Just to save yourself a bit of time and trouble.￼
Vegan Chickpea Omelette
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp black salt Indian Kala Namak
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1/2 small bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 to matoes chopped
- Handful spinach chopped
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Add in oil to pan and heat to medium high heat.
- Toss in the filling ingredients EXCEPT for the spinach and garlic.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the mushroom has cooked down.
- Add in the garlic and cook for one additional minute.
- Take of the heat and egg in the chopped spinach. Mix well and set aside while making the omelet.
- Into a large mixing bowl add the chickpea flour and slowly add in the water, a little at a time while mixing to prevent clumping.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, EXCEPT for cooking oil and stir together to combine.
- Pour oil into a skillet and heat to a medium heat. Add 1/2 of the mixture into the heated pan and cook as you would a pancake.
- Once the sides look cooked and the pancake can be easily lifted flip. Cook for 1 minute on other side and fill the omelet with the filling, serve and ENJOY!