Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
The Birth Of This Skillet Cookie
Funny story, kinda I guess 🙂
In the beginning of my vegan journey I was practically learning to cook all over again. As a lot pf people have to do when making the switch. So, here’s the thing I really wanted to have some chocolate chip cookies because my non vegan hubby had been eating them. So I figured, ok I’ll just make my own batch of vegan chocolate chip cookies. I was going to try to veganize a non vegan recipe as a total vegan cook newbie. That should have been a red. I don’t know why I just didn’t look up a easy vegan recipe, but whatever.
I went on with my baking and I don’t remember what ingredients I swapped out for what, but what I do remember is that the results were a total disaster.
Those cookies came out the oven. Wait, I don’t know how I still have the nerve to call that cookies, because it was literally a sheet of spread baked cookie that looked like Alaska! That’s when the idea struck me and I immediately starting planning a skillet cookie. After a bunch of trial and error, at one point the cookie was so hard that I was afraid I would have to throw away the skillet all together. I’m glad I kept on trying to get it right because this recipe right here is pretty awesome, if I must say so myself!
Why This Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Is Awesome
Impressive: Something about a skillet cookie that just looks impressive. If you’re hosting a gathering, this is the perfect treat to serve in pretty like slices.
Tasty: This is just a regular delicious chocolate chip cookie but huge and you make your own serving sizes, because you slice any size you want!
Crowd Pleaser: The skillet cookie is a crowd pleaser and kids love it! I have made a few for kids birthday party and the kids will pay more attention to the skillet cookie then the birthday cake!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar granulated
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add butter and both sugars.
- Cream together by hand or using a mixer. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix again until incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix again until incorporated.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until there is no longer any flour showing through.
- DO NOT oven mix the cookie dough or you will end up with a though cookie.
- Add the cookie dough to a well seasoned, 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet or place dough into a greased, 9 or 10 inch cake pan.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes or until the cookie turns golden brown with slightly darker edges and the middle has set.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before digging in. ENJOY!