This deviled potatoes recipe is straight out of my Home for Christmas eBook. I have always been a huge fan of deviled eggs so you know of course I had to come up with a vegan version of yet another non-vegan favorite.￼ One of the biggest things I preach, when people ask me about becoming vegan, is before switching to a plant-based diet or going vegan have alternatives to your favorite non-vegan foods, to make the transition easier.
These would be perfect served as appetizers for game night, movie night, and for party hosting.
When you bite into one of these creamy deviled potatoes￼￼￼ You won’t feel like you’re missing out on deviled eggs at all.￼
Are there any special ingredients?
The only thing in this recipe that I would consider to be a special ingredients and it’s totally optional. Is black salt, also known as Kala Namak, or Himalayan black salt. This black salt gives dishes the taste and smell of eggs and that’s due to its sulfur content. I also like to use this black salt when making tofu scramble, vegan omelettes, or adding a dash or two to potato salad.￼￼
Adding this black salt to the deviled potatoes recipe is totally optional, because you can use regular sea salt or table salt instead￼. However,￼ I highly recommend you try it, but also recommend you have black salt on hand in general because it goes great in and lots of dishes.￼
In this recipe the black salt is used for boiling the potatoes in, and for adding an eggy taste to the filling. That way it really has the feel and taste of deviled eggs.￼
- 7 small potatoes halved
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chopped parsley fresh
- ½ tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Black Salt to taste (and for boiling)
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Peel 3 of the potato halves for the filling and leave the other 11 halves skin on. Once the potatoes are sliced into halves boil in water salted with black salt for added egg taste, or regular salt if you don't have it. Boil until fork tender.
- Remove from boiling water and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Using a melon scoop carefully scoop a egg yolk size portion of potato from the centers of the cooked potatoes and place into a small bowl along with the peeled halves.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients along with the 3 potato halves that were peeled and mash together until creamy. Add black salt to the mix to add egg flavor, but be careful not to over salt. Using a spoon or piping bag to fill potatoes, sprinkle with paprika, Serve and ENJOY!