Treat yourself to this easy vegan sausage recipe! You will be so glad you did. These are so good and you get to customize them however you like. Add any spices, herbs, or flavors to make this sausage recipe a whole other kind of sausage every time if you wish. You can turn this into Italian sausage by adding Italian sausage spices, or do the same to make it chorizo sausage, maple sage, whatever you like. Or you can keep the recipe completely as is for a basic but delicious vegan sausage recipe. I have more vegan sausage recipes coming soon.
For this recipe I use aluminum foil to wrap the sausages into their form but you can use parchment paper in between the aluminum foil if you don’t want the aluminum foil touching the sausages. You can also use, cheese cloth between the aluminum foil if you want. I just use the plain aluminum foil, as I’m not cooking with aluminum foil wrapped things everyday.
Can I use all purpose flour?
To make this recipe you will need to use vital wheat gluten flour. Every time I make something with vital wheat gluten flour I get fifty question of people asking, “Can I use (insert other flour here) instead of the vital wheat gluten flour?”. The answer is no, you can not use any other flour in order to make seitan because no other flour acts like vital wheat gluten flour does. The vital wheat gluten flour starts of as all purpose flour and it’s basically stripped until only the gluten is left. Which is why you can use all purpose flour or you will end up with some sort of cake sausage flavored rolls and that does not sound appetizing, even in the slightest haHA! So, get yourself some vital wheat gluten flour from your local big box supermarket or Amazon and make all my vegan meats recipe, no but seriously most of my meat recipes contain vital wheat gluten.
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 1/2 cup mashed cannelini beans or great northern beans
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 paprika
- 1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/4 liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl add all ingredients EXCEPT for the flour and mix well.
- At this point this is what your sausage will taste like so give the mixture a taste and add in any extra flavors you would like. (Remember this recipe is a basic recipe)
- Once the flavors are to your liking continue by add in the flour and mixing with a fork until lightly combined.
- Next knead with your hands for 2-3 minutes until dough is not sticky.
- Tip: If dough is sticky add a tiny bit more flour and if the dough is a bit to dry add in a tiny splash of vegetable broth.
- Once dough is kneaded separate into 4 even pieces and using aluminum foil roll each piece into a sausage shape inside the aluminum foil.
- Twist the ends of the aluminum foil like a candy wrapper.
- Once all pieces are wrapped well, steam for 45 minutes. Add water to steamer half way through if needed.
- After the steaming is done, place into the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes to set.
- Sautè, fry, toss into a bun, or how every you like and enjoy a delicious bite.