Mouth Watering Vegan Ribs
Who said you can’t have plant-based ribs? Just those words together, mouth watering vegan ribs make a lot of people uncomfortable. The vegan police freaks out and anti-plant-based food people, also freak out. I think it’s pretty funny that what you name the recipe can be so controversial. People ask me all the time, “Rose, why do you name things after animal products?” My answer, is always the same. The reason I do it is because if someone is looking for an alternative to their favorite non-vegan food, for example, they would like to find an alternative to fried chicken. This person who knows nothing or very little about plant-based foods is not going to look up how to make fried seitan bites. They’re going to look up how to make vegan chicken.
When I started this whole thing I knew I wanted to help people￼￼ find delicious Alternatives of their non-vegan favorites. That’s why you see names of Recipes like, vegan steak, vegan chicken bites, and vegan ribs. Some￼ People may be offended but that’s not my intention I’m looking at the bigger picture.￼
What are these vegan ribs made of?￼
￼ These ribs are made from vital wheat gluten flour. Which is, what is used to give it its meaty texture. When this flour is mixed and kneaded it forms seitan. Seitan not to be confused with Satan🤔.
Can I use any other kind of flour?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. You can’t use any other kind of flour to make this recipe simply because this recipe is to make seitan ribs and without the vital wheat gluten flour you can’t achieve the same results. By the way, vital wheat gluten flour is not like any other baking flour. I get comments from people who say so this is basically cake that’s flavored like steak. That’s not at all how this flower reacts.￼
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup crumbled extra firm tofu pressed to remove excess water
- 1 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Extra BBQ sauce for grilling
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT for vital wheat gluten flour in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Place vital wheat gluten flour into a large mixing bowl, add in the blended mixture and stir with spatula or spoon until mixture comes together to form a dough. Knead for 4 minutes.
- Once the dough has been kneaded, place onto a cutting board or work surface and shape into a flat long loaf, that resembles a rack of ribs. Use a rolling pin to flatten.
- Steam the steaks, covered for 45 minutes.
- Place steaks on a grill, grill pan, or regular pan on low heat. Brush both sides with BBQ sauce generously and cook on low heat for 5 minutes on each side.
- Raise heat to high right before flipping to get grill marks, if desired.
- Brush on extra sauce if you wish, serve and ENJOY!