Savory Veggie Pancakes
If you’ve never heard of serving pancakes then you’re probably thinking “Rose, you are insane.” Yes, I am a little insane but not because of the savory vegan pancakes. These vegan pancakes are the perfect amount of sane and also the perfect amount of delicious.￼￼
Savory vegan pancakes are made pretty much the same way that regular sweet pancakes are made. Except you don’t add the sugar, or the vanilla. Instead you add savory things like onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and things like that.￼ You also have to have some sort of sauce to go with that, just like you would have syrup drizzled over sweet pancakes.
What ingredients go into these pancakes?
-All purpose flour The all purpose flour serves as a base for the whole pancake. As it would for all pancakes, or at least most pancakes.
– Aqua fava￼ Aqua fava is the water from cooked beans￼. When I work with aqua fava I only use the liquid from cans of chickpeas because I feel like that works best.￼
– Baking powder￼ Baking powder is always needed when making most pancakes because you want to add a leveling agents, and that’s what baking powder is used for here.￼
-Plant-based milk￼ Plant-based milk is used as the liquid in this recipe to get everything else going.￼
Those are the main ingredients that go into making a savory pancake, but if you wanted to turn this into a sweet pancake you actually can also do that by adding some sugar and vanilla to the mix. However, I already have multiple recipes for pancakes so maybe go with that instead.￼
The other ingredients that also go into the savory veggie pancakes are grated zucchini, carrots, onion, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. This is what makes these pancakes savor rather than a sweet.￼
Savory Veggie Pancakes
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp agua fava
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plant based milk
- 1/2 cup zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup carrots grated
- 1 green onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking
- Mix all the ingredients except for the cooking oil into a large mixing bowl and mix together until combined.
- Add oil to a pan and heat to a medium heat.
- Using half the batter or smaller portions for smaller pancakes.
- Add the mix into a pan the way you would with a pancake by evening it out.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until edges look cooked and can be easy flipped.
- Remove from heat, serve and ENJOY!