Ultimate Vegan Chicken Sandwich
This ultimate vegan chicken sandwich is such a fun sandwich to make, its basically a big plant based nugget, that you place in between two buns with some delicious red cabbage slaw and lots of pickles. There is nothing better then some yummy plant based fried Chick’n and pickles! I don’t know why but those pair so well.
Steaming seitan vs. boiling
The only thing that has changed since I came up with this recipe is, that now I steam it instead of boil.
Some people may not realize this but seitan dough is like a sponge. Even more so then tofu, like a lot more! So, when you boil the seitan that you seasoned oh so beautifully. Water just gets sucked into it and it basically becomes a sponge. I have seen people paper towel dry the “excess” water after boiling it but there is really no going back from that. Once you boil it, it not only becomes a less flavorful and bland. It also get super chewy and spongy and I know I for one, am not a fan of that.
What you want to do instead of boiling the seitan once you have made the dough is, steam it. You don’t need a fancy steamer to do this. I don’t have one myself and I just use and raised steam rake from the Asian market with a bit of water below it, in a large pot. Place the seitan on the rack making sure that the seitan does not touch the water. I then cover it and steam it on low heat for 1 hour. That’s it no fancy steamer needed and you can stack the seitan on top of each other too. Don’t be afraid of them sticking together, surprisingly they won’t!
Ultimate Vegan Chicken Sandwich
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 white beans or black
Red Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 ball red cabbage chopped (approx 2 cups)
- 1/2 jalapeno chopped fine
- 1/2 small onion sliced/chopped (red onion works best)
- 1 tbsp pickle juice
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo or to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup french fried onions
- 1 cup water or veg broth for more flavor
- 2 tsp hot sauce or to taste optional
- Burger buns
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Blend together beans and vegetable broth until smooth.
- Add bean mix into a mixing bowl and add in the seasoning for the seitan, mix well.
- Next add in the gluten flour and mix until you can knead with your hands.
- Knead using your hands for 4 minutes.
- Separate seitan dough into 3 or 4 pieces depending on how big you want your "chicken".
- Stretch the seitan and form into patties as best you can.
- Steam seitan "chicken" for 60 minutes.
- While the seitan is steaming prepare the slaw but mixing all of the slaw ingredients together in a large
- bowl, and mix well. Set aside until the "chicken" is done to become more flavorful.
- Once steaming is done prepare the breading by adding the french fried onions and flour into the food processor and blend until combined and smooth.
- Add the flour, water and hot sauce from the other section and mix well. This will be your binding mixture for the breading.
- Start the process of breading by dunking the "chicken" into the binding mix and into the flour mix.
- Repeat this step twice for each piece for and extra crispy breading.
- Add vegetable oil into a frying pan. About 1 inch of oil and add the vegan chicken in once the oil is hot. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Fry on medium high heat.
- Place onto a paper towel lined plate and assemble by placing some avocado on the bun then the vegan chicken, followed by a nice serving of slaw. Top with a top bun, serve and ENJOY!