Vegan Blueberry Muffins
It’s no surprise that blueberries muffins became a big hit. Blueberry muffins were invented in 18th century, England. They quickly became a big hit and began, being sold by muffin men at tea time all over England.￼ Another little fun fact which might not be surprising, is that the song the muffin man was a nursery rhyme that was invented in England in the early 19th century. Ha ha, who knew that the Veggie Rose blog would turn into a blueberry muffin/muffin man history lesson today?￼ Oh, did I mention that these vegan blueberry muffins make you smart too?! lol kiddin’
Anyway, now that we’ve gotten past this whole blueberry muffin, England history class. We can move on to the real stuff. I remember coming up with this recipe because there was a box blueberry muffin mix that I used to buy at the supermarket. ￼So once I went vegan, I realize that my precious little blueberry muffin mix was not vegan friendly.
I took on the challenge of coming up with a vegan version of those blueberry muffin￼s. I really don’t remember what brand of box mix it was. I don’t think it was anything widely known, otherwise I would have remembered the name. I think it was one of those kind of things that you see the box and you remember that’s what you like but you never remember the name.￼
Long story short I got into the kitchen and started messing around and after about 10 different tries at this vegan blueberry muffin mission. I got it! I had finally cracked the code. And if you have tried to get a recipe perfect you know, how frustrating it could be but also how rewarding it could be when you finally get the recipe exactly how you want it.￼￼
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce unsweetened
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup blue berries fresh
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add in almond milk, apple sauce, and oil. Mix until batter is just combined. DO NOT over mix.
- Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Fill 12 muffin cups, 3/4 of the way and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. (For larger muffins fill 6 muffin cups)
- Allow to cool down completely and ENJOY!