Vegan Chicken Fried Steak
This Vegan Chicken Fried Steak recipe, takes a little while to make if I am being totally honest but it is so worth it! It’s so savory and crispy. You can also make this dish ahead of time and freeze it for later. Making the seitan and steaming it, is the most time consuming part of this recipe but that is what you can make ahead of time and freeze, once steamed.
Once you have steamed the seitan, you can freeze it and make it anytime you wish. It’s such a convenient way to prep dish dish, if you find yourself wit little time, but you still want to make it. The prep and freeze step really gives the feel of just thawing meat and whipping something up quickly, because it’s ready to go!
Why name it after animal products?
Chicken and steak, after the word vegan really triggers some people! I totally get why but I have solid reasons why I still name my recipes, what I do.
The vegan police freaks out and anti-plant-based food people, also freak out. I think it’s pretty funny that what you name the recipe can be so controversial. People ask me all the time, “Rose, why do you name things after animal products?” My answer, is always the same. The reason I do it is because if someone is looking for an alternative to their favorite non-vegan food, for example, they would like to find an alternative to fried chicken. This person who knows nothing or very little about plant-based foods is not going to look up how to make fried seitan bites. They’re going to look up how to make vegan chicken.
If you make this dish you will be so happy you did. Also, I would love to see your take on it, if you make it. So, don’t forget to tag us on Instagram @veggierose
Vegan chicken fried steak
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup mashed white beans
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp flour
- 5 tbsp water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves dried
- 1/2 tsp better then bouillon vegetable base
- 1 1/2 vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, start by adding in all the seitan ingredients EXCEPT for the vegetable stock, mix well.
- Add in the vegetable broth and knead for 3-4 minutes. If dough is sticky add a touch more flour, if dough is to dry add a touch of vegetable stock.
- Once the dough has been kneaded, divide it into 4 equal pieces.
- Take each piece of seitan dough and roll it out, until it resembles a thin (approx. 1/4") steak. Steam the steaks for 45 minutes.
- Mix together the breading ingredients in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Also mix together binder ingredients in a bowl. This will serve as the egg mixture.
- Dip the seitan steaks into the flour mixture to cover, then dip in the wet binder mix and back into the flour to coat well.
- Add just enough oil into a frying pan to cover the seitan steaks half way.
- Pre heat oil and once ready add in the seitan steaks and fry for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
- Remove from oil and place onto a paper towel lined plate.
- To make the gravy add vegan butter into a pan on medium high heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add in the flour and mix until the flour is completely coated in butter.
- Slowly whisk in the vegetable broth a little at a time. Until fully incorporated. Whisk in slowly to prevent clumping.
- Once gravy has thicken up enough the coat the back of a spoon, remove from heat.
- Serve vegan chicken fried steak with gravy drizzled over top and ENJOY!