Vegan Guava Puff Pastries
One day I literally went on a mission.
To find some vegan guava puff pastries, I knew that accidentally vegan versions of these were out there, somewhere in the vast Philadelphia city. Accidentally vegan puff pastry is made to lengthen the products shelf life so, I knew there was a chance.
So, I set off on a sunny summer Philly day, which are usually blazing hot by the way and this day was no exception. I first went to my local bodegas aka corner stores and checked the labels on all the guava puff pastries I could find. As you may have guessed, no luck there. So, I proceeded to check my local hispanic supermarkets. Let me tell you, I drove to 6 supermarkets and still, nothing.
All that mind you while staring into the face of my craving every time I went into one of these places. Hence my craving becoming stronger. At this point my craving for this fluffy cloud like, sweet delicious, melt in you mouth puff pastry had turn into a monster. With a whole voice of it’s own! It’s was yelling at me things like “just buy these non vegan ones, no one has to know!”, “If you have just one it doesn’t mean you’re a bad person”, and “Oh Rose, don’t be silly it’s just a little bit of butter 🤫” My craving have increase 10 fold!
The Brilliant Idea:
As I drove off the parking lot from the 6th supermarket I have been to that day. I got this brilliant idea, that quite frankly was kinda ridiculous that I hadn’t thought of before. “Make them yourself guuurl!”. I loved that idea so I B lined it to the local big box supermarket, which in Philly is ShopRite and guess what I find there. Accidentally vegan puff pastry central. When I say central, I mean that literally like the only puff pastry they carried. Non of it contained milk aka butter in this situation.
- 1 pkg puff pastry dough vegan friendly
- 1/2 cup Guava paste or guava jam
- Confectioners sugar for sprinkling
- Cut 12 even rectangles from the puff pastry dough.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of jam into the center of each pastry dough rectangle.
- Add a tiny smear of water with your finger or cooking brush around the edge of the pastry rectangles.
- Grab one of the side corners of rectangle and fold it across. To form a triangle or rectangle if you wish and press down lightly to seal edges together.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar if you wish and ENJOY!