Vegan Chicken Mole Enchiladas
The first place we went to I went in with my expectations very high. Like back home delicious Mexican restaurant high! This place didn’t even have veggies, like no veggies what so ever! I was pretty disappointed so just stuck with eating their sweet guacamole and chips. After that place I was on a mission to find a good Mexican restaurant, that reminded me of back home but my hope quickly dissipated. When the third restaurant with the great reviews was still not that great.
Maybe, I’m just picky or maybe we’ll just blame it on my sensitive picky tastebuds. If that is the case maybe that is what makes my recipes yummy, I don’t like to settle for dishes that I think could be much better. That lead me to give up on the Mexican restaurants down here and make my own mole recipe. I’m so glad I did because it turned out delicious and so simple to make. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I have🥰
What is Mole?
What is Doña Maria Mole?
What’s the filling?
Vegan Chicken Mole Enchiladas
- 1 8 oz jar Dona Maria Mole Sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Pinch of salt
- 10 oz Plant Based Chicken or tofu (see recipe notes)
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 Corn tortillas warmed (see recipe notes)
- 1/2 small red onion sliced or chopped
- Crema Sauce
- 2/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 juice of 1 lime
- Water for consistency
- In a skillet over medium high heat cook, plant based chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Until browned or according to the package instructions. Remove from heat and set aside. Shred or cut “chicken” into smaller bite size pieces.
- Add all mole ingredients into the blender or food processor. Blend everything until smooth. Add mixture into a skillet, over medium high heat and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until thickened into a melted chocolate consistency. Or thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Make crema sauce by adding all crema sauce ingredients, except for water into a small bowl. Mix well until combined and add a drizzle of water to reach a ranch sauce consistency. Adjust crema to your liking.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the mole mixture, onto the bottom of a 12x8 baking dish. Spread to coat the bottom of the dish. This prevents sticking. Place one warmed corn tortilla onto the bottom of the dish and add approx, 2 tablespoons of the “chicken” into the center of the corn tortilla and roll up all the way. Repeat until you have all 10 tortillas filled and rolled.
- Pour 1 cup of mole sauce over the enchiladas and spread evenly with a spoon. Optional: Sprinkle onion over top. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit. Remove from oven and garnish with crema sauce and lime wedges. Serve and enjoy!
- For tofu filling: Crumble 1 package of extra firm tofu and add 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 30 minutes on 350 degrees fahrenheit, or 15 minutes in an air frying. Use in place of plant based chicken in recipe.