Vegan Pepper Steak
Growning up my mom made pepper steak with this delicious tomato, onion, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil sauce. It was eaten very often in our household. We would all get so excited when we would just smell this dish cooking. Of course I had to create my own vegan pepper steak version of this recipe because I couldn’t see myself not making this or having this ever again, after switching over to a plant based diet.
I also like to make this recipe with tofu as a quick spin on this dish. When I don’t feel like making seitan pepper steak I make marinaded air fried tofu strips and those those into the sauce. I know, your probably curious now as to what I use to marinade said tofu. I just use Sazon seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, adobo seasoning, ground black pepper and a drizzle of vinegar. I let it marinate for about 30 minutes and then air fry it for about 15 minutes at 350. How is it that my blogs have these sort of hidden recipes, within a recipe all the time 😅!
What Is It Made From?
These “pork chops” are made from seitan.
What Is Seitan? Seitan is actually a vegan meat alternative, which has been used for many years. It’s now made much easier than before, because it is made with Vital Wheat Gluten Flour. Before people would do this whole process of rinsing of flour dough until all that was left what the gluten and that’s what they would make seitan with. Thank goodness for Vital wheat gluten flour!
Can I Use All Purpose Flour For This Recipe
Nope! I get this question a lot whenever I share plant based meats using vital wheat gluten flour. You actually can not use any other flour to make this. If you try using all purpose flour you will end up with cake, rather than seitan. That’s not what we are going for here!
Similar Recipes You may Like
Vegan Pepper Steak
- Blender Ingredients
- 1/ 2 cup water
- 1/2 of one onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup cilantro loosely packed
- 1/2 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp adobo
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper chopped and color of your choice
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Toss all the blender ingredients into the blender and blend until liquefied.
- Add the blender mixture into a large mixing bowl and add in the vital wheat gluten. Mix well with spoon, until the mix forms a dough and can be kneaded with your hands.
- Knead dough for 4 minutes. The dough should resemble bread dough or sticky play doh in texture and dryness. You can adjust this, if the dough feels wet by adding a bit of extra vital wheat gluten and if the dough is too dry adding a dash of water while kneading.
- Once the dough has been kneaded for 4 minutes, split the dough in half and roll it out, to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut each rolled out piece in half, so you are left with 4 steak like pieces.
- Steam the rolled out steaks for 45 minutes on low, covered and making sure not to allow the steaks to touch the water to avoid a soggy end result.
- Once steamed, carefully cut into pepper steak like strips of 1/4"-1/2" in width.
- In a non stick pan add a few tbsp of vegetable oil for frying up the pepper steak.
- Add in all of the spices, tomato sauce, and vinegar. As well, as salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until combined and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- At this time you can add in the chopped onion and bell pepper and allow to cook for a few minutes, or until the peppers and onions have reached the tenderness level of your liking. You can place a lid on the pan to speed up this process.
- All that is left to do know, is pair it with your favorite side dish and ENJOY!