Vegan Pot Pie
Wow, let me tell you how amazing this vegan pot pie is! When I first came up with this recipe, and perfected it. I made it three times in a row. Each pot pie lasted us about two days. Which means we had vegan pot pie for Six days straight. That is all I wanted to eat and I didn’t mind at all. My husband isn’t a fan of eating the same kind of food over and over again the way I do so there was a bit of tension 😆. I just kept saying “babe, i had to make it again because I’m testing it out”. Lol LIES! I wasn’t testing it out anymore I was feeding my soul is what that felt like.
The idea and the execution
Anyway I got the idea to make this recipe one day when I was making a quick little vegan chicken noodle style soup for my little ones who were sick. I hadn’t had pot pie in years but at that very moment I knew that there would be no turning away from this craving. I had to make a vegan pot pie and I had to make it quick. So the next day I left the little sick’ems with their dad, who was home from work and I went of on a adventure as I like to call it. I was on the search for inspiration and anything that looked like it belonged inside my future pot pie.
I got home with a trunk full of stuff for this recipe, but also with a bunch of other ingredients that caught my attention and inspired other recipes. Yea, that’s usually what happens! I immediately got to it and the first one turned out surprisingly well. I made a second one to perfect the flavors a bit. But this recipe pretty much a home run from the start and still hold a very special place in my heart.
Vegan Pot Pie
- 1/2 cup butter or Coconut oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 medium russet potato peeled, and chopped small (Uncooked)
- 1 16 oz package frozen mixed vegetables corn, peas, green beans, carrots
- 2 pie crusts
- Pre heat oven 425F.
- In a large skillet, add in butter and onion. Cook until onion become translucent.
- Add in flour, and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes on medium high heat.
- Whisk in vegetable broth, slowly until well combined.
- Whisk in almond milk, slowly until mixture is smooth.
- Add in spices, and mix well.
- Add in chopped potato, and mixed frozen veggies.
- Mix everything together well, until everything is well combined.
- Add Mixture into prepared 9 inch pie crust. Smooth out and add top pie crust.
- Pinch edges of crust together and bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!