Vegan Salisbury Steak
You already know how it happens. I get to missing a non vegan dish I grew up with and end up recreating a plant based version of it. This Vegan Salisbury steak, is so scrumptious and bold in flavor. You will not miss a thing about the original.
What is Salisbury steak?
Salisbury steak traditionally isn’t even steak! It’s really just a fancy hamburger. It’s ground meat that is flavored and cooked in a delicious gravy, or as some people call it brown sauce.
Can I freeze it?
Yes, definitely! This is the perfect dish to make for meal prepping. Just make sure you store it in a air tight container in the freezer. You can even do individual portions. Place a bed of pasta, or rice as the first layer and then layer on the Salisbury steak and gravy. Freeze for up to 5 months and have yourself a yummy meal anytime you like.
This vegan Salisbury steak goes very well with mashed potatoes, but mash potatoes doesn’t have a good track record for freezing unless it’s done very strategic, which is why I suggested rice, or pasta. Those are much more freezer friendly.
What to serve with Vegan Salisbury Steak?
Serve along side some mashed potatoes, pasta, or some steamed veggies. I also, love the combination of roasted veggies with the recipe. As well, as some massaged kale and/or asparagus. I love to pair asparagus with savory, rich, recipes because the bitterness of the asparagus, helps balance out the flavors of everything.
How I got my kids to like asparagus.
Random little snippet here, but I thought it might be helpful to share. Jayden, my oldest hated asparagus. I couldn’t get the kid to even take a bit of them. I kept placing the asparagus on he’s plate. Every time I made he’s favorite, which was mash potatoes. Except he would always eat the mash potatoes, but never the asparagus. Until one day I made it so yummy that he couldn’t resist the smell.
He finally tried it and has requested asparagus with he’s mashed potatoes and gravy every time.
The way I make the asparagus for picky kids, is almost cooked to death, with plant based butter, garlic powder and soy sauce. In a skillet with some neutral oil. Those flavors soak in and it’s hard to resist.
Vegan Salisbury steak
- Steak Patties
- 4 Beyond Burgers
- 1/3 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 8 oz Baby portobello mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 medium Onion chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup Veggie Broth
- 1/4 tsp sage optional
- 1 tbsp olive oil for pan searing
- Into a large mixing bowl add all steak patty ingredients. Mix well until combined.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add in olive oil and steaks. Sear for 1 minute per side or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Make gravy by adding olive oil into the skillet and deglazing the pan (scrap food bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon).
- Add in onion, and mushroom and cook until softened (about 4 minutes).
- Add in garlic clove and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Put flour into the mix and stir around until golden (Approx 2 minutes).
- Add in butter, mix and allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in veggie broth and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened. (Approx. 3 minutes)
- Add in the steak patties and cook for 3 minutes per side. Serve and ENJOY!