Thanksgiving Vegan Shepards Pie
This Thanksgiving Vegan Shepards Pie, is phenomenal! It’s so boldly packed with flavor, and the potatoes add just the perfect touch of creaminess. You have a whole meal in one plate with this recipe. Not to mention this Thanksgiving Vegan Shepherd’s pie is the perfect addition to your holiday party. You can also make it to go, if you are going to Thanksgiving which is being hosted by someone else.
If you are not sure if their will be vegan options, this is the perfect dish to bring along. You get the mashed potatoes, the “meat”, and gravy in one delicious easy to make dish! This recipe along with my Vegan Salisbury Steaks and Vegan Gravy recipes will be at my Thanksgiving table this year!
What kind of potatoes are used in this recipe?
For this recipe I used instant mashed potato flakes but you can go all the way and make your mashed potatoes from scratch if you like. I really enjoy the fast and easy aspect of this recipe, which is why I used instant. To spruce it up, look wise I piped the mashed potatoes onto the meaty mixture. I was inspired by duchess style potatoes. Which are basically just piped mashed potatoes mounds which are then baked.
You can also simply spoon on the mashed potatoes and even it out with a spatula. Then add a bit of texture by cross hashing with a fork.
How to crisp the mashed potatoes
This dish is baked for 15 minutes and then broiled on high for 5 minutes to get the top of the dish nice and browned. It just doesn’t look as pretty without that extra touch of color!
You can go totally off the wall here and use mashed sweet potato for this dish. It would look absolutely beautiful and would also taste amazing with the meaty mixture.
Can I freeze it?
This recipe is great for all occasions and even freezes great! You can make this as part of your dinner meal prep and freeze it. To reheat, simply place into the oven at 350F. and heat through.
Vegan Shepard's Pie
- 10-12 oz vegan ground meat
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil for sautéing
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes cooked
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add oil into a cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet), over medium high heat. Add in onion, and carrots. Cook until onions are translucent, add in garlic cloves and cook for an additional minute.
- Plant based ground meat gets add now, along with the vegetable broth and all of the seasoning and spices. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix rue ingredients, into a small bowl and whisk into the skillet. Allow to boil and thicken for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and pipe or spoon on cooked mashed potatoes. Bake for 15 minutes and then broil for 5 minutes on high, to achieve a nice golden brown topping. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and ENJOY!