Before going vegan I loved steak, so it was only a matter of time until I made a recipe for a vegan version of it. This vegan steak is savory, juicy, and has the perfect mouth feel too. If you make this recipe you will find yourself, making it over and over again! My family and I enjoy this recipe quite often and we have even created a few “spin off“ recipes from this one and every single one of them delicious!
Our other popular vegan steak recipes…
You can eat this vegan steak with any sides you like, of course it is a personal preference. That being said you should totally try this with asparagus and potatoes on the side, at least once! Maybe I’m a bit bias because I love asparagus and potatoes together but these are our staple side for this dish and we love it!
On another note I have no idea that this recipe would become what it has! This is our biggest Veggie Rose recipe. Our most shared on social media, the most watched on YouTube, and the recipe I receive the most pictures from people who recreate their own at home. It just warms my heart to know, that others love this recipe as much as we do, but that also non plant based people love it too!
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup mashed white beans
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- oil for frying
- 4 tbsp oil for frying
- 3 tbsp non dairy butter
- 8-10 sprigs of thyme
- 6 cloves of garlic smashed but not peeled
- In a large mixing bowl, start by adding in all the seitan ingredients EXCEPT for the vegetable stock. Mix well.
- Add in the vegetable broth and knead for 3-4 minutes. If dough is sticky add a touch more flour, if dough is to dry add a touch of vegetable stock.
- Once the dough has been kneaded, divide it into 4 equal pieces.
- Take each piece of seitan dough and roll it out, until it resembles a thin (approx. 1/4") steak. Steam the steaks for 45 minutes.
- For the marinade, mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl, until all the ingredients are combined. Add the marinade into a Ziploc bag and add in the steaks and allow the steaks to marinade for at least 1 hour.
- Using a spoon, scoop the butter and oil and pour it on top of the steaks while they brown, for juiciness. Flip the steak when it takes on some color but NOT BURN. Do the same on other side.
- Remove from heat garnish with a little cracked pepper, vegan butter, and a spring of thyme. Great sides with this vegan steak is green veggies and roasted potatoes. Serve up and ENJOY!